Civil Site Design

Do I really need to hire a professional engineer (PE)?

Yes. A professional engineer has the registered credentials to be licensed in your state to design your project. They are held to a high standard of professional ethics to ensure public health and safety.

My property is in a flood zone. Can you help with that?
Yes. We have many years of experience producing site designs for flood plains typical to the greater Houston area.
What software expertise do you have for civil site design?

We use computer aided drawing (CAD) software. For mapping, we use GIS software.

My site has a septic system. Can you help us?
Yes. We’ve completed designs on sites with and without septic, particularly in and around Pearland.

residential subdivision

My lot is less than five acres, can you help me develop it for multi-family use?

Yes we can help with any size lot.

Do you only work with private land developers?

No, we can work with municipalities or private citizens.

I’ve heard getting permits for residential development is complicated. Can you help with that?

Yes, we can. Whether it’s permits for driveway cuts, water and sewer, or environmental reasons, we have you covered. We’ve done it all.

Are you familiar with floodplain issues?

We’ve been doing business in the greater Houston area for more than 12 years. We’re extremely familiar with the unique issues regarding floodplains and floodways in this area.

What do I have to do to conserve some trees on my property?

We can work with you and your budget to develop a tree conservation plan for your project.

utility layout

My lot is about 5 acres. Is that too small to hire you to do utility design?

No. We can do a project of any size. Call us at (281) 519-8530

We want to extend our utility lines into undeveloped areas of our municipal footprint. Can you help with that?

Yes, we can. We have access to GIS data layers and can supplement it field data if needed.

What kinds of data do you need to extend utility lines?

To get started, we’ll need geographic and geologic data, hydrologic data, census data, current land surveys, floodplain maps, and existing utility information, of course.

I live outside the Houston area. Can you still help me?

Yes, we can. Our professional licensing applies to the entire State of Texas. Call us at (281) 519-8530

platting and zoning

Are you familiar with the steps of platting?

Yes, we are aware of the compliance requirements, submitting/approval meeting schedules, and forms/fees associated with the process. Call us at (281) 519-8530

After my plat is approved, what’s next?

The next step in this process is getting your building permits together, provided the plat is zoned properly. We can help you determine zoning and permitting too.

Call us at (281) 519-8530

Which comes first, platting or zoning?

That depends on the current state of the property. Contact us at (281) 519-8530 so we can discuss this further.

What are the different types of zoning in the Houston area?

Zoning ordinances in the greater Houston area include residential, commercial, industrial, and agricultural.

Contact us at (281) 519-8530.

What other things should my zoning take into consideration?

You should also consider sidewalks, street lights, crosswalks, and bridges.

Contact us at (281) 519-8530.

drainage planning

What does a drainage engineer need to complete a plan?

We will require your site plan or land plan from your architect or designer, plus the topographic information from your surveyor. We will analyze this information and provide you with a complete drainage plan for your site.

I already have water detention structures on my property. How can Daniel Scott Engineering help me with those?

Daniel Scott Engineering will inspect your water detention structures (including stormwater basins, retention ponds, etc.) to make sure they’re installed and functioning properly.

If anything is wrong, we can work with your budget to fix the problems or recommend improvements for any additional development of your site.

Can you help with flooding issues on my 1-acre lot?

Yes, we can. We have more than 30 years of experience in the Houston area. We can help design a drainage plan for a lot of any size.

We started a drainage project, but had to abandon it due to circumstances beyond our control, can you use our old plans and re-start the project again?

We can help you with this project, however we must analyze the site to confirm that the drainage plan is in compliance with current drainage regulations.

floodplain management

What is a floodplain?

In its most simple form, a floodplain is a low-lying area that is subject to flooding.

What is floodplain management?

Floodplain management is the technical process of deciding to develop or not develop in floodplains with the goals of reducing loss of life and property. It involves detailed scientific and engineering analysis.

Can you tell me if my property is in a floodplain?

Yes. We’ve worked with a number of property owners in flood-prone areas in and around Houston. We also have experience working with map revisions and amendments (LOMRs and LOMAs) with Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Why should I hire a certified floodplain manager (CFM)?

Individuals with the CFM certification are professionals who are knowledgeable of regulations and design practices regarding land development in flood-prone areas.

How can homeowners and businesses protect themselves from losses due to flooding?

The best way to do this is to buy flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

project management

Do you have experience working with local, state, and federal stakeholders?

Yes. Many of our projects have involved local and state parties and some have involved the Environmental Protection Agency and the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

What is the largest FEMA project you have experience with?

That would be the City of Friendswood $20 Million Buyout Project administered by FEMA in the wake of Tropical Storm Allison.

Can you help me rescue an abandoned residential development project?

Yes. It will take coordination with our residential development project team, but we will do what it takes.


Do I need a permit to develop a small lot?

You need a permit for any new construction or major changes to existing structures. There might be exceptions. We can help you navigate the permitting system.

Call us at (281) 519-8530.

If I own the land already, do I still need a permit?

Yes. It’s the law. We can help you stay in compliance with the authorities.

Call us at (281) 519-8530.

How long should it take to get all my permits for a new building?

It depends on your specific situation and construction. On average, expect two to three weeks for a single-family dwelling.

Call us at (281) 519-8530.

How much should I expect to pay in permit fees?

Fees vary. We use the local fee schedule and valuation tables to determine permit fees.

Call us at (281) 519-8530.